Cannabis is often used as a recreational drug and was legalized in various parts of the world. Veterinarians and researchers claim that it has healing properties and balancing effects both in humans and mammals.
Cats, like humans, have endocannabinoid systems that regulate their bodily functions. So when they are given CBD oil for cats, it acts as a regulating supplement for their bodily functions like pain, appetite, immunity, mood, and sleep.
CBD oil for cats specifically shows excellent effects. They help prevent and cure cancer, relieve nausea, anxiety, and phobia, suppress epilepsy and seizures, reverse arthritis and reduce pain and inflammation. The flavor and the taste are usually herbaceous and earthy like that of natural hemp oil.
Safety and side effects of CBD oil for cats:
Since CBD oil is the compound that comes from cannabis, is CBD oil safe for cats?
Cannabis plants contain CBD (cannabidiol) and THC(tetrahydrocannabinol). It is the CBD with less than 0.3% of THC that can be used to treat home pets like dogs and cats suffering from various diseases or experiencing abnormal behaviors without making them uncomfortable.
Since CBD does not contain the psychoactive properties that THC exhibits, the chances of the cat getting “high” are improbable so typically, CBD oil is safe for cats.
Many studies show risk-free results when taken in high doses and over an extended time. But since they have not been FDA approved yet in many countries, the legality of CBD oil cats and other products is still in question. There are no reliable researches to back this up due to highly restrictive federal laws against thoroughly investigating the effects.
However, there are numerous anecdotes of how CBD oil is safe for cats and how it improves their lives and drastically save veterinary expenses. With the market flooding with these products, opt for CBD oil derived only from hemp and not from marijuana as the THC can cause adverse effects like hallucinations, aggressiveness, and neurotoxicity in pets.
Cat situations where CBD can be administered
CBD oil for cats can be used when they show these behaviors:
Crying without a cause,
Fear of strangers and new surroundings,
Aggression or grumpiness with other pets,
Anxiety and lack of energy.
With the capacity to enhance appetite in cats, CBD oil can also work well for cats that are recovering from surgery and other major illness. Cannabidiol oil eases pain and fear, making them more relaxed, preventing anxiety and restlessness.
CBD Oil dosage for cats
1. Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD): This is the most common sickness in cats. All breeds of cats, irrespective of age group are highly susceptible to IBD. CBD oil for cats with other medications can help reduce the symptoms of inflammation.
CBD Oil Dosage: Start with 0.2mg/kg twice daily and then increase gradually.
2. Pancreatitis: Most cats with IBD also contract pancreatitis. Treating with conventional pharmaceutical therapies can be hard. Use a low-fat diet along with the CBD oil for cats and other recommended treatments to reduce inflammation of the pancreas.
CBD Oil Dosage: Start with 0.1 mg/kg twice a day and if the cat tolerates it, increase to 0.5 mg/kg twice daily.
3. Cancer: This is the main reason why both people and animals use CBD. There are numerous reports that CBD oil relieves pain from chemotherapy and extends survival period. Lymphoma and Squamous Cell Carcinoma which is the most common cancer that cats develop over the years. CBD oil for cats can reduce this possibility when given as a daily supplement.
CBD oil Dosage: Start with 0.5 mg/kg of CBD twice daily.
4. Arthritis: Many cats suffer from painful arthritis for an extended period because there is a shortage of pharmaceutical options that are safe or easily accessible. Cats tend to live with this pain for an extended period. Several unofficial researchers and experiments show that CBD oil for cats could be an effective anti-inflammatory for their aches and pain.
CBD Oil Dosage: start with 0.5 mg/ kg twice daily and patiently wait for at least 2-4 weeks to see results as arthritis is not a disease that is contracted or permanently cured within a short period.
5. Asthma and Chronic Upper Respiratory Infections: some cats show minor symptoms of asthma or respiratory infection, and they can be easily confused. Cats with significant chronic infection require lifelong treatment by inhaler, but CBD oil provides a very safe alternative. It is, however, better to consult a veterinarian before substituting any previous medications.
CBD Oil Dosage: start with 0.5mg/kg of CBD twice daily or 2-4 drops and gradually increase.
6. Seizures and Epilepsy: CBD oil has an impressive response in cats that suffer from epileptic seizures that affect cats to have uncontrolled and sudden physical attack. It sometimes leads to loss of consciousness. If the kitties are already taking other medications, it should not be abruptly stopped or replaced.
CBD Oil Dosage: Start with 0.5 mg/kg and increase if needed. Some cats may require up to 3 mg/kg twice daily.
It should be noted that it is usually safest to administer it after every 8 hours and, it is safe to increase the dosage only after an hour if there are no changes in the reaction of the cat.
How to give CBD Oil to Cats:
There are varieties of CBD oil for cats in the market. They are specially designed in the form of pet food, oil, pills, and treats for therapeutic use and dietary supplements.
1. The easiest way is to drop it directly into their mouth using a dropper and gently wiggle it between the gums towards the mouth.
2. Dropping the CBD oil on their favorite treat and turning it upside down to distract them from the smell.
3. Mixing CBD oil for cats into their food is also a great way to add this supplement to their diet.
4. Another tip is by combining the CBD oil with organic sardine oil as most cats don’t refuse to eat the sardine.